Locker allows Premium users to designate trusted emergency contacts with different user access levels. Anyone that has registered an account can be designated as an emergency contact.
What is Emergency Access?
Emergency Access is a feature only available to Premium users in Locker. This functionality allows you to grant access to your vault to one or more designated existing Locker users.
Depending on the specified level of permissions, a trusted emergency contact can:
- View: This contact will have view/read access to all items in your Vault.
- Takeover: This contact can create a new Master Password to gain permanent view/read access to your Vault.
Why You Should Use Emergency Access?
There are plenty of ways you can use the Emergency Access feature to protect your digital life. See some below examples:
- Provide vault access to your spouse or your children when your health is at risk.
- Give your trusted contact access to account information stored in Secure Notes, for example.
- Most importantly, you can regain access to your vault should you ever forget your current Master Password.
Life happens, but Locker ensures your sensitive, valuable data is well-protected even in emergency cases.
Set Up Emergency Access
Invite a Trusted Emergency Contact
- Sign in to your account.
- Select Settings on the sidebar.
- Click on the Security page.
- Scroll down to the Emergency Access section. Click + Add emergency contact.
- In the new pop-up window, enter the email of your trusted emergency contact. The grantee must be existing Locker users.
- Set a user access level (View or Takeover) for the trusted emergency contact.
- Set a Wait Time. Wait Time is the amount of time that your trusted emergency contact must wait to access your Vault after requesting access.
- Click Save to send the invitation.
Confirm an Accepted Invitation
You need to make a confirmation once your trusted emergency contact has accepted the invitation.
- Sign in to the Web Vault.
- Click Settings
- Click on the sidebar.
- Click on the Security page.
- Scroll down to the Emergency Access section. In the Trusted emergency contacts section, you will see the invited user with an Accepted label.
- Click on the three-dot icon and click Confirm from the drop-down menu.
Accept an Invitation
- You will receive an invitation email to become a trusted emergency contact. Select Accept to open the Emergency Access acceptance page in your web browser.
- Sign in to Locker to accept the invitation. If you are not an existing user of Locker, you will need to register an account.
The grantor must confirm your acceptance before you can initiate access request.
Use Emergency Access
Initiate Emergency Access
You can initiate an emergency access request as a trusted contact as follows:
- Sign in to Locker web vault.
- Navigate to the Settings page, then click Security.
- Scroll to the Designated as emergency contact section, which presents a list of grantors who have granted you access to their vault.
- Click the three-dot button next to the name of the grantor whose vault you wish to access, then select Request Access.
- The Request Access window will pop up on the screen. Click Request Access.
As indicated in the pop-up, you will be provided access after the Wait Time the grantor have set, or whenever the grantor manually approves your request.
Once your emergency access request is approved, you can access the grantor’s vault by following the same steps as above. In this case, the drop-down menu will present you with two options (View or Takeover).
- View: Locker will display the grantor’s vault items on your screen.
- Takeover: Locker will open a Takeover dialog box where you can set a new Master Password to your grantor’s account. Once saved, you can log in to your grantor’s vault with their email address and the newly-created password.
You can manually approve or reject an emergency request before the Wait Time lapses. In addition, Locker allows you to revoke exclusive
- Approve or Reject
- Sign to Locker web vault > Settings.
- Scroll to the Trusted emergency contact in the Security page.
- Click the three-dot button next to the grantee with a Recovery Initiated status. In the drop-down menu, select Accept, Reject or Remove as you wish.
- Revoke access
- To manually revoke view access of one grantee, select Reject in the three-dot menu next to the grantee’s name in the list of Trusted emergency contacts.
- You can revoke a Takeover access by following the same guide as with View access. However, you will not be able to do so if they have created a new Master Password. In that case, the only way for you to revoke exclusive access to your vault is to obtain that new Master Password and change it to another that they do not know.